One of the best ways to learn about energy is to visit its source. Here in the Pacific Northwest, many of our hydroelectric dams have Visitor Centers that offer educational tours for individuals and school groups. To schedule a tour, contact the Visitor Center directly. While you're there, ask for a free copy of BPA's coloring book for kids, "Saving Energy with Zippie, Splash and SamN." Here are contacts for some of the region's largest visitor centers:
- Bonneville Dam Visitor Center - 541-374-8820
- Bonneville Dam Visitor Center Washington Shores - 509-427-4281
- The Dalles Dam - 509-506-7819
- Grand Coulee Dam - 509-633- 9265
- Rocky Reach Dam - 509-661-4960
To see if there is a hydroelectric facility near you, check the Foundation for Water & Energy Education's damfinder feature. Or, check out this on-line tour of a hydroelectric project: Walk through a hydro project.