Established in 1937, BPA – a component of the U.S. Department of Energy - provides clean, affordable hydro electricity from 31 federal dams across the Northwest that are operated by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and the Bureau of Reclamation. BPA's primary charge is to serve the electricity needs of Public and People’s Utility Districts, municipal electric utilities and rural electric cooperatives in the Pacific Northwest. When BPA has more generation than it needs, it can market it in a variety of ways across the entire western interconnection.
BPA also owns and operates more than 15,000 circuit miles of high-voltage electric transmission on 8,500 miles of rights-of-way across the Pacific Northwest. BPA is also interconnected with Canada and points south via its Northern and Southern Interties.