Ancilliary and Control Area Services (ACS) 101
- ACS are services necessary to support the transmission of energy from resources to loads while maintaining reliable operation of BPA’s Balancing Authority Area in accordance with Good Utility Practice.
- BPA, as the Transmission Provider, is required to provide ACS under the pro forma tariff.
- Transmission customers are required to purchase certain ACS from BPA under the pro forma tariff.
- There are additional ACS that the transmission customer must either purchase from BPA, or self-supply through a customer’s own resources or from a third-party accordingly, as required under the pro forma tariff.
- Schedule 1 - Scheduling, System Control, and Dispatch
- Schedule 2 - Reactive Supply and Voltage Control from Generation Sources
- Schedule 3 - Regulation and Frequency Response
- Schedule 4 - Energy Imbalance
- Schedule 5 - Operating Reserve (Spinning)
- Schedule 6 - Operating Reserve (Supplemental)
- Schedule 9 - Generation Imbalance
- Schedule 10 - Capacity for Generator Balancing (VERBS/VERS & DERBS/DERS)
- Schedule 11 - Real Power Losses (Transmission Losses)
What is the full list of ACS services?
- Scheduling on the transmission system will need schedules 1, 2 and 11
- Load will need schedules 3 and 4
- Generation will need schedules 9 and 10
- Both Generation and Load will need schedules 5 and 6
- EIM participants will need schedules 4e and/or 9e