Capacity on the FCRPS is set aside for use to cover deviation in actual load from the loads schedule.
VERBS is a Control Area Service necessary to provide the generator capacity* (ability to both increase and decrease generation) to follow within-hour variations of variable energy resources (primarily solar and wind) in the BPA balancing authority area. VERBS is separated into two components:
- Regulating Reserves - reserves held for maintaining balance in moment to moment operations (these are not used for EIM dispatch)
- Non-regulating Reserves – reserves held for additional longer-term variability within the hour caused by scheduling error (i.e. EIM)
DERBS is a Control Area Service necessary to provide the generation capability (ability to both increase and decrease generation) to support the within-hour deviations of dispatchable energy resources from the hourly generation estimate/schedule. DERBS has two applicable rates for when it must INC or DEC the FCRPS:
- Incremental Reserve Rate – Applied when BPA must increase generation (primarily FCRPS) to offset the resource’s under-generation
- Decremental Reserve Rate – Applied when BPA must decrease generation (primarily FCRPS) to offset the resource’s over-generation
* Generation Capacity is NOT Transmission capacity, the term refers to the capability of the generating resource.
- Rate Schedule – see for the latest GSR rates
- BPA Open Transmission Tariff - Schedule 3
- Dispatchable Energy Resource Balancing Service (DERBS) BP
- Variable Energy Resource Balancing Service (VERBS) BP
- Balancing Reserve Capacity BP
- Balancing Service Election for DERBS and VERBS BP
- Self-Supply of Balancing Services BP