This webpage is still in development and may be missing content that is being migrated from the previous website. If you cannot find a document, please reach out.Email EE Marketing
BPA Utility Distribution Opportunities
Efficiency-Improvement Measures and Requirements
Voltage OptimizationBPA developed the Simplified voltage optimization measurement and verification protocol to assist utilities with implementing voltage optimization projects. Utilities have the option to use a custom measurement and verification plan or the simplified protocol. The simplified protocol requires analytics from load-flow studies, and also:
- Is based on Regional Technical Forum guidelines.
- Focuses on residential and small commercial end-use loads.
- Requires that specific system stability thresholds be met prior to lowering service voltage.
System ImprovementsSystem improvements may include the following measures:
- Power transformer replacement.
- Service conductor replacement.
- Higher distribution primary voltage, including insulator additions and replacement.
- Transformer load management (replacement of improperly sized transformers or loss improvements).
- Balancing loads and phases.
- Adding parallel feeders.
- Operation improvement (recognition and phase balancing).
- Power factor improvement to reduce line losses.
- Volt-amperes-reactive (reactive power) management.
- Fixed and switched capacitors.
- Service distribution transformer:
- Replacing an existing or proposed transformer with a higher-efficiency transformer.
- Multiple transformers versus a single transformer, based on system analysis.
- Voltage management.